Hunting is one of the many life skills you can use in Black Desert. It allows you to kill wildlife with a rifle and eventually leads to killing the Blue Whale and Fugitive Khalk, both of which drop valuable meat, material for jewelry, and more.
Getting Started Edit
To start hunting go to Hessenvale in the Western Guard Camp found in the Balenos territory. She will give you a quest called "Hunting in the Forest" which you can complete by renting a Practice Matchlock from her for 2 Contribution and shooting down an Owl from a nearby location on your map.
Another quest can be found in Velia offered by Laiano Pietro, he will offer to rent you a Practice Matchlock. Once you have the training rifle talk to the Fishing NPC, Crio, near the warehouse and accept the quest "Those Seagulls!". The quest will have you kill seagulls and can be completed by talking to Crio.
Once you have completed the first hunting quest you will want to get a better matchlock, these may be purchased off the auction house or you can craft one with a Tool Workshop. These Matchlock have much better damage which is useful for stronger Monsters as you level up.
Additionally you will want to bring a butcher or tanning knife, to get EXP from hunting you must harvest the animal you hunted.
Next head to North Kai Ferry, across the road you will find a second Hunting quest, this time to kill jellyfish in Kai Lake. Complete this quest and you will no longer need the training rifle.
Hunting Zones Edit
There are 7 types of monsters that you can hunt that spawn throughout the world:
- Small Whales – These spawn alone and can drop many items such as blackstones, Magic Crystals, whale meat, seaweed and starfish. To hunt these you will need a boat, hunting rifle and a knife for tannery/slaughter.
- Crocodiles – These spawn in packs of three and can drop blackstones, Magic Crystals and crocodile meat. To hunt these you will need a hunting rifle and a knife for tannery/slaughter. They have a long 1hr respawn rate.
- Giant Elk - These spawn alone and will not attack you, they are as harmless as the Witches Deer.
- Giant Boar - These spawn alone and will attack you. They do minimal damage with slow attacks so they can be dodged easily.
- Giant Bear - These spawn alone and will attack you. They can also stun you so time your shots wisely.
- Giant Fox - These spawn alone and will attack you.
- Giant Wolf - These spawn alone and will attack you relentlessly. The Giant Wolf can also spawn two regular Wolves to attack you.
Boss Monsters Edit
Blue Whale Edit
The Blue Whale spawns randomly in one of three sections of the ocean around the continent (not in Margoria) Once discovered it will be announced to the server what sea it is in and you may begin hunting and killing it. Typically it will take three groups of five with moderate to high hunting proficiency. The top three groups who deal damage to the Blue Whale will be announced when it dies and they will receive loot as well as hunting exp for their combined efforts.
Fugitive Khalk Edit
Fugitive Khalk is a boss monster that spawns in-between the border of Calpheon and Kamasilve around Cyclops Land. He is a flying monster and fast which requires players to ride on horseback while hunting him down.